What To Do If You Find Black Mold

Written By: Francine Harmon, RN- Marble Falls Branch Manager for Capitol Home Health 

CHH blog photo 5

Happy Spring! Spring has sprung, spring fever and spring cleaning!

While most of the spring elements are beautiful and energizing, there is one part of spring that is continually overlooked… Rain! Some years Central Texas gets a lot of it and some not so much,  but this year we have had a bit more than usual and a influx of rain can lead to black mold. UGH!

While black mold isn’t an automatic response to a bunch of rain, it is a possibility and should be taken very seriously. While researching how to get rid of it and figuring out the extent of it, I did find some very useful information on mold.

First things first, some common symptoms of mold exposure include:

  • Sneezing
  • Itching skin
  • Redness and skin irritation
  • Watery itchy eyes

From these common symptoms, they can advance accordingly based on the length of exposure and the quantity of spores. Black mold is definitely not a problem that you want to continually grow over time, as long term exposure to our bodies can be fatal.

OK! So now how do I get rid of the spot I found and keep it from coming back?

  1. I donned a surgical mask because the spores are easily propelled into the air
  2. I mixed up a spray bottle of bleach and water, applied gloves, sprayed the affected area and let the room air dry.
  3. I have invested in a dehumidifier to contain and prevent future rogue mold spores from forming.

Black mold problems can be very dangerous and never should be taken lightly. Prompt intervention is a must especially in homes where the elderly and very young reside and may have chronic respiratory issues that can only further harm their lung status. So get to your Spring cleaning and remember, if you see anything that resembles mold, be prepared and handle the situation promptly and safely!